DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

4.13.2005

Hungry? Grab a Twinkie Lard-Ass

That's right 75 years of making Americans fatter. Let's celebrate! Not that I shy away from twinkies on purpose (oh wait, I haven't had one in a long, long time. I'd tell you how long, but I honestly can't remember, which means its been longer than the last time I ate at Fatdonalds).

I might have to make an exception for my arrival in Chi-town because
The Twinkie factory is still in Chicago, which also happens to be the American city with the highest per capita consumption of Twinkies. Chicagoans who want their Twinkies gussied up can go to comfort-food restaurant Kitsch'n for Twinkie Tiramisu. Or they can get a fat infusion at hot dog shop Swank Frank, which sells those state fair favorites, deep-fried Twinkies.

Oh, and incase you ever had doubts about twinkie freshness
In reality, Twinkies' shelf life is more like 25 days, says Theresa Cogswell, who calls herself the Twinkie guru and is vice president for research and development at Interstate Bakeries Corp., the parent company of Hostess. She admits she got a good laugh out of the 30-year-old Twinkie story but says she wouldn't want to eat one quite that old. "You can eat older Twinkies, but they're just not as good as when they're fresh. Then they're awesome." That's right, awesome.

2 Comments:

  • HA! Check out the Family Guy Episode about the twinkie factory, "Da Boom." It's pretty funny. I've never been a fan of twinkies ... for some reason I really liked the oatmeal cookies. I ate so many as a kid I can't even look at a package without turning green now. Why do parents do that to their children!?!?

    ~Brian

    By Blogger Brian, at 2:03 AM  

  • Ah the Family Guy...I can recall gathering in the dorm rooms of college to pull it off of the network and laugh our drunken asses off. But I have to admit that I had to sneak Twinkies in my family. There was just certain junk food that my mother would not tolerate. Not Swiss Cake Rolls, thats a whole 'nother story...

    By Blogger Fletch, at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home