DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

4.14.2005

diePod DJ Night

I was glad to see that Saint Ex.'s iPod DJ Night had picked up a bigger crowd last night. Maybe the press is bringing in the numbers, who knows. I was happy that I got there before the rush and could grab a table for some friends (I noticed that the DCist/Blue State Blogger crew had already holed up in the corner). As the people streamed in, it was definitely a different crowd than when I last made it in February. Nothing wrong with that, except the Button Down and Urbane Outfitters-Hipster crowd drowned out the music with their inane chatter. Sweet.

Just a sampling of what I got to overhear from the pretentious and yet moronic gentleman next to me:

Dude: Really, it was a good thing that the Dark Ages happened. I mean, look at all of the advances in war that have happened in the past four hundred years! If there hadn't been that thousand year period where there were no technological advances at all, they would have, like, invented the A-bomb so long ago and we'd be totally fucked. Drivel, drivel, drivel...

Dude's Friend:...(He may not have spoken the entire time they were sitting next to me. Seriously.)

I don't even know where to start on this boorish crap. First of all, he's misrepresenting history worse than ol' Georgey-boy misrepresented the Iraq's weapons capabilities. (For those who care, the Dark Ages were so named during the 18th century when people who believed that God had created the world in six days thought that civilization had completely collapsed after the fall of the Roman Empire. They have since been proved wrong on all points.) Second, you're in a bar, yes, and admittedly fashionable and hip bar, but you don't need to impress anyone with your grasp of second-grade world history. Hit on some chicks, or if I may be so bold as to guess, hit on some dudes. There was at least one guy in the crowd sporting a Guerilla Queer Bar bag, try him out. Third, don't shout over the music. Some of us are there to hear the music, you clearly would be much better off sitting at the upstairs bar, where your inane conversation could continue without bothering me.

In short, I doubt that I will be making it to future iPod DJ nights in DC. No that my time is that precious, but this man's only got two more months, and I'd rather spend it not being annoyed by the annoying masses.

And for the record, the $6.75 that I spent on a Hennepin could have been much more equitably split on three forties and a tall-boy can of Steel Reserve. Seriously, in a blind taste-test, I would not be able to tell the two apart. I guess that they both have that "warming mix of spicy gingersnap and citrusy hops" that Hennepin brags about.

5 Comments:

  • Good god Fletcher, you're not in drinking shape any more. These days, a tall-boy and half a forty would do you in!

    By Blogger Lauren, at 10:20 AM  

  • Woah now, I wasn't talking about drinking the Steel Reserve all at once. That collection of blackout brew would eaily last me a month these days. God, I'm getting soft without even trying.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 10:50 AM  

  • you noticed us and didn't come say hello?

    :-(

    --nm (seeking irony, bluestate, etc.)

    By Blogger nm, at 11:47 AM  

  • I've always been the bashful type. Perhaps at bluestate...

    By Blogger Fletch, at 11:57 AM  

  • Yeah. Come say hi at bluestate. We love meeting new people.

    -WeirdCurves

    By Blogger MG, at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home