DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

6.22.2005

Prepping the new home

In the midst of the drag 'em out, knock 'em down slug-fest of a Spurs-Pistons Game 6, I had the distinct pleasure of watching the season premiere of Real World 16: Austin. Whoo-wee! Not only was I able to say "I've been there! I've been there!", but some cast member got fucking cold cocked on his second night of bar crawling, literally getting his face broken! Go MTV! As for the guy who beat his ass, I am sure that he was so excited to get his fifteen minutes of fame in front of the MTV cameras by punching some drunk dude who was on the ground, that he completely forgot that he was committing assault on film. Good move wise guy. Not that I object to the drunken, fratbags getting hassled by the locals, but please. I hope that your dumb ass is in jail and off of 6th Street by the time I get down there.

Aside from the injection of dramatic violence, the rest of the episode is just a repetition of what these kids think that the Real World Genre is all about. The first thing that they did was get drunk and sit in the hot tub. Then they got two of the girls to kiss. Then they all got in the shower together. Then they went out and got really drunk. A girl started dancing on the bar, a guy tried to be protective of her, they yelled at each other. Guy storms off, and everyone tries to find him on the streets of Austin, you know rather than going back to the house. Then they get in a fight with random dudes on the street.

Yup, the first episode was a cross between the entire fourth season of Real World and a single episode of the OC. What's next on the list? I'm betting that the blonde girl who walks around the apartment in her underwear ("at home I walk around in my bra and panties in front of my parents") gets fucked by one of the dudes in the house. Even money.

-Oh and for those of you who said that the NBA finals were going to suck, we got us a game 7! A series hasn't gone that long for eleven years. These two teams want it. And my hatred of Manu Ginobli's flops grows inside of me everyday. Fucking hack. I don't like floppers in soccer, and they definitely don't belong in basketball. The NBA should start handing out technical fouls for players who try to draw imaginary fouls.

7 Comments:

  • Ow! My fact!!!

    Just because it's a blog doesn't mean you shouldn't proofread, fletch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 9:44 AM  

  • Thank you Jake, but why waste my time when others will do it at no cost?

    By Blogger Fletch, at 9:46 AM  

  • Out of respect for your readers, whom you love very much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 AM  

  • I thought about starting my RW recaps again on the strength of this first episode. It was crazy!

    Am I the only one who nearly vomited when the doctor showed Danny his x-rays and explained exactly what happened to his eye? And it has to be surgically corrected... I noticed a dent on the side of his face, but didn't even think it was broken. Oh god, stomach contents rising.... barf.

    By Blogger Kathryn Is So Over, at 10:26 AM  

  • His face was rather unappealing, after he got smacked, but it appears that he's in next week's episode, I guess he's alright. As for the Real World, I can't claim to be a fan, but at this point in the series, the new housemates "know" what they are supposed to "do". They've seen all the previous RWs, and they just appear to be copying the same actions, except instead of spreading it out over 12 episodes, they cram it into one.

    RW is now a mature genre, with expectations of specific actions. The interesting part becomes "how does this season do something new?" because if its just the same old drinking, smoking, and screwing, then the audience is going to fade pretty quickly.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 1:41 PM  

  • At one point, there were rumors the RW cast was going to have to help open a restaurant, even working as waiters, around the time of The Restaurant. However, all the trouble they had with unions and belligerent locals in Philly and Austin prevented that from happening. That could have been interesting.

    By Blogger Kathryn Is So Over, at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home