DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

6.20.2005

Weekend Bar Bitch

Somehow in a three day weekend, there is always more than enough time to drink and actually be productive.

Friday started out with a trip to REI to purchase a tent and other assorted gear for this summer's next week's road trip. After fiddling around the rest of the day, the gf and I met up with out mother's for dinner at Ardeo. Aside from the restaurant being absolutely dead at 7:30 on a Friday night, the food was pretty good for the $16-22 entree range. I'd be in no hurry to go back, but if someone said they were going, I'd tell them that they made a good choice.

Next was a meet-up with some friends in Dupont, where we had a $10 foofy drink at Firefly before heading over to Lucky Bar. Firefly good, Lucky Bar baaaaaaaaad. First of all, no one should ever have to wait in line to get into Lucky Bar. The line was longer and slower than next door at MCCXXIII. Second, at some point in my life, I would have agreed with the following statement: "Seeing a girl who is enjoying grinding with two dudes on the dance-floor is a decent indicator of a place with the potential to be very interesting." I am clearly no longer at that place in my life. Watching the creepy 35-year olds stare at the trashy, trashed interns dancing made me very uncomfortable. Luckily we were able to grab our acquaintances and head over to the Big Hunt, where we could sit, drink, and not feel like filthy old men.

Saturday brunch with the future-in-laws was at 15 Ria. Good food, no problem getting a table outside, terrible service. You make the call. The rest of the day was a blur of boxes and packing tape. The good news is that I'm almost ready to go.

Saturday night was Wonderlandful. Well, it would have been if we weren't playing Goldielocks. The downstairs was too smoky, and the upstairs had a godawful DJ playing techno-crap at a volume that was deafening. After a few more songs that DJs switched, and we got a more tolerable volume of good reggae and hip-hop. Pints of Racer 5, until bedtime. At some point there was dancing involved, but I think that may reveal too much of the evening. All I can say is "Vaginica?"

Sunday was a hell of planning and packing at Lauren's, but progress was made. An itinerary for the road trip was finalized, but we still have enough flexibility to take a few extra days wherever we like (it'll be posted later today for public comments). Then Father's Day dinner was going great until I saw that on the back of one of the ties that I had bought for my father it read (no shitting you) "Please remove before sex." At that point, I couldn't take the painfully stilted conversation between my parents and their college friends that followed. Thinking about it just sent a shiver up my spine.

Then there was the basketball game....until way past my bedtime. Robert Horry, Robert Horry, Robert motherfucking Horry. How do you not guard that fucker? How?

7 Comments:

  • Whew, I guess that maybe I should learn a little more about HTML before I "strike out" on my own. Although looking over it, maybe that's how I'll go out next week. With a line through everything that I've writtem.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 10:27 AM  

  • future what?????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:27 AM  

  • For the record, the ties were not "bought" but they are new. Which reminds me, I should probably talk to my dad about that one...

    By Blogger Lauren, at 10:34 AM  

  • A.) Good call on Ardeo. We all feel the same way over at the CPMC.

    B.) Firefly is way too expensive for what you do get, true, BUT, and that is a big BUT, you make up for it with the truffle oil french fries. Doesn't sound like you partook in them, but they are worth a visit back.

    By Blogger The Senator, at 1:56 PM  

  • or you can just steal cookies from neighboring Hotel Madera!

    By Blogger Lauren, at 3:52 PM  

  • Please Jake, you came in far too late in the game to steal my bassoontang away. Not even when you play the nice guy card.

    Hmmm, truffle oil french fries you say? Is that black truffle oil or white truffle oil? I guess that the answer really doesn't matter, since I doubt that I will ever return, but it will always tempt me.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 4:06 PM  

  • I dunno... the future in-laws sure seem to have a crush on me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home