DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

1.12.2005

Restaurant Week Part 1

Well, it has officially begun in my belly. Last night I got to enjoy a sumptuous meal at DC Coast with my family and girlfriend. I arrived about a half-hour early and enjoyed a beer at the very nice bar there. The space was crowded, but I eventually managed to stake a spot on the counter overlooking the dining area, where who to my wandering eye should I spot? Our very own Michael Wilbon of Washington Post and ESPN fame. He didn't seem to be taking part in the restaurant week festivities, but then its probably not as much an indulgence for those people who are not on small budgets. Luckily before I could start to feel creepy for watching a semi-celeb, the rest of my party arrived and we were seated. One last point on Wilbon, I knew that the GF would get a huge kick out of seeing Wilbon, so I pointed him out to her. Unfortunately, her seat faced away from him, so she spent the first half of our meal twisted around trying to catch what Wilbon was doing. But on to more important things.

Overall, I was very impressed with DC Coast. The space is gorgeous and the wait-staff was very friendly and helpful. For Restaurant Week, DC Coast was offering a choice of Soups (Lobsterbisque, Butternut Squash, and Soup du Jour Creamy Tomato) or Salad (Caesar or mixed field greens), any entree (the Lobster and strip steak were a $7 upcharge), and choice of creme brulee, chocolate mousse cake, or New Orleans Bread Pudding for Dessert.

I had the Butternut Squash Soup, Pan-Fried Rockfish, and Bread Pudding. The soup was delectable. Among the best parts of the evening. The squash was accented with crawfish, sweetcorn, and porcini mushrooms, free from any of the pie spices that too often are tossed into squash dishes. The Lobster Bisque was also very good. The salads were nothing special, not bad, but why not go for something better? My rockfish was a little disappointing. It was flaky and moist, perched atop a round of polenta, surrounded by an apple-red onion relish, and sweetcorn sauce. But it was a little too bland. There just seemed to be something missing that could have easily moved it from good to great. The winners at our table were the sea scallops and BBQ short ribs. A bit of surprise on the short ribs, but my father took a chance on the waitresses advice, and he may have been the most satisfied at the table. The pork loin also looked very good, although I did not get a chance to try it, but it was certainly a massive piece of meat sitting atop its mashed yams.

The creme brulee is purported to be the best in the city, but it did not live up to that reputation last night. It was a little too pudding-y for my tastes, but perhaps the quality of the product went down as the quantity produced went up. Luckily, I indulged in the bread-pudding, topped with a Banana's Foster sauce. It was lip-smacking good. The bread pudding was delicious, and the Fosters was well done, with not too much rum. By the time I had cleaned my plate, I was too stuffed to try the mousse cake, but it seemed to satisfy the chocoholics at the table.

Well, only a few more hours until I get to satisfy my urge to indulge at Butterfield9!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home