DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

1.14.2005

Restaurant Week Part 3: TenPenh

Well, they always say that the third time is the charm, and it could not have been more true last night. TenPenh fully lived up to its hype. While the space is not as stunning as its sister restaurant, DC Coast, the food was much better. All five diners were very happy with their selections of appetizers and entrees.

TenPenh offered up a limited selection of appetizers and desserts, but the full range of entrees was offered as part of the restaurant week menu (with a $7 up charge on the Asian lobster and the lamb chops). The Thai spring rolls were crisp and flaky, with three tangy dipping sauces to attend to. My wasabi encrusted tuna was grilled to a beautiful medium-rare and the soy sweet potatoes may have been the highlight of the dish (but I am a sucker for the simple things in life). Other raves were lavished upon the calamari salad and the sea scallops.

Dessert was a choice of a pana cotta (strange gelatinous yogurt), spice cake with banana ice cream, and a thai coffee tart. None were spectacular, but by the end of the meal, they could have tossed starligt mints at us, and I would have applauded.

Having blown my food budget for the next month, I don't think that I will be returning to Ten Penh anytime in the near future, but I will certainly keep it mind for the next time I treat myself to a fine dining experience. DC Coast gets above average marks, but I would only only return on my own dollar if I thought that a guest or date would be bowled over by the hip and trendy ambiance. Butterfield9, you should be ashamed.

Until next restaurant week!

1 Comments:

  • Well, you can go without me. There are enough other restaurants in this city to keep me busy without having to go somewhere that may or may not treat me like the second-class citizen that I am.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home