DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

2.07.2005

A Night at the Symphony

Ending up with two tickets to the National Symphony on Saturday night is one of the better aspects of "having connections" in this town (aka being a native). A trip to the symphony is not something that I have ever done before, but I am not averse to testing the waters of high culture. Last year I even used my connections to get opera tickets.

Saturday night was a last minute affair, and when my GF and I arrived at the Kennedy Center, we had no idea what the program was. We had thought that the ticket owners had said "Schubert", but much to my delight, Leonard Slatkin was conducting a "celebration of the 1940s". Not that it made much difference to my untutored ears, but I have to say that I enojyed the show very much. Several of the short pieces were quite excellent, and the "Schubert" was in fact Schuman's Symphony No. 3 which was quite an intricate work. Perhaps a more meaningful review of the show can be found at the Post.

I was a but surprised that the concert hall was only half-full, but perhaps the obscurity of the works kept away all but the most dedicated. Or unaware patrons.

It was a very nice surprise to be able to enjoy the Symphony rather than another night of Adams Morgan. And I know that the GF got a kick out of it. Even if I made her dress up, only to see a gentleman in the front row wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

Date possibilities very high, a sure fire way to impress. And with tickets starting at $20, its a pretty affordable way to here good classical music. Pick a show and enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home