DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

2.14.2005

Taking the China out of Chinatown

Is Chinatown Disappearing? I would be hard pressed to say no. Gallery Place is taking over the grimy streets of Chinatown and turning them into glittering Urban Outfitters and Starbucks. Its been coming for ten years, but when will we finally stop referring to it as Chinatown? I for one will hold out until this nonesense about DC having a "midtown" wears off.

At least there is a United Colors of Benetton to keep up the diversity in Chinatown.

1 Comments:

  • I'm not a native of DC or anything (and thus, hardly an expert in the area), but I would hesitate to say that Chinatown really ever WAS Chinatown. I mean, as it stood when I was there--not long ago at all--Chinatown had, like, three Chinese restaurants. And two novelty stores with a surplus of spiced "Chinese" soaps. And then there was a Ruby Tuesdays, a few bars, and some other generic restaurants...with Chinese characters on the signs. I mean, I think it must be put out there that DC does not have a Chinatown. But that's okay...because it doesn't have a Little Italy, either.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home