DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

4.14.2005

Sometimes the privilege shines through

In my planning for my new life as a lazy graduate student on heading down to my new school, I have come across one of those little questions that just won't leave my brain. If you hate random meaningless crap that clutters other peoples' heads in moments of boredom, leave now. If not, I would love to hear your thoughts.

I have a car. Its like a clown car only its not. Right now, I have no decorative elements on my car. It is just a car. I do however have three window decals from institutions that I have attended just sitting in my glove compartment, waiting for their day to shine. Soon I will have a fourth. As I sit here in my cubicle, I have been trying to imagine how I would fit all of these on my rear-view window. I mean, four decals is a lot of pretensiousness to be slapped onto a car (and yet, only the prep school and the Bachelor's are pretentious. The transfer undergrad and future grad school are respectable public institutions). At what point to I just say forget it? The giffer thinks that prep school is the first one to go. I sort of agree, but as I get further and further from high school, only the fonder memories remain. Drop Santa Cruz? I don't know, I still describe that as the best year of my life, besides, I think that decal alone eliminates any claims of elitism. Wes? Got to stay, right? Texas? Well, do I have to attend for a certain period of time before I can put the decal on?

I am such an education whore. Don't even let me get started on the Montgomery College parking permit....

4 Comments:

  • I am already ashamed that I posted this. Not ashamed enough to take it down, but I just wanted to get my feelings out there early.

    If I had a livejournal entry it would read: currently feeling embarrassed.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 11:26 AM  

  • yeah but you got me to a) read your comment (the thinking being: who the hell commented on this lame-ass entry) and then b) post one myself. Bravo Fletcher, bravo.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 2:07 PM  

  • why do they need to go on the car. You are right that those are pretentious places. Put them on your fridge or TV or something. What lies behind the car-displaying impulse? When you know this, you will know whether to put them up or not.
    -b

    By Blogger 8yearoldsdude, at 3:49 PM  

  • This reflects my struggle to toe the line between elitism and pretention. I want people like Jake to know that I am better than them (elitism), so I put all my fancy-pants schools on my car windows. But then I worry that I will offend people who don't already know that I am better than them (outward pretnetiousness), and that is why I haven't yet put on the decals.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home