DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

5.20.2005

Ga-ga for Google

I don't really do technology like some people do technology. For my place in life as a young, educated, urban professional, I'm pretty slow to jump on the newest bandwagon. Cell phones? Didn't get one until I graduated college. IPods? Just got mine. After a million other Americans. Blogs? Well, this one has been going for close to six months now.

When it comes to the internet though, Google is my brand of choice, hands down. I couldn't even tell you the last time that I used another search engine. In the battle for this little man's mind, Yahoo and MSN are nothing but second-tier losers.

That's why Google's new foray into web portals is enticing. I just got a new computer, and I'll be damned if I don't need a new homepage. Apple.com, I'm sorry but you're just not cutting it for me. Now all I have to do is wait for the Beta version to be released publicly.

If you've got a little time and you get a kick out of seeing what else the great googs is up to, check out Google Labs where they let you test out their new ideas. Like Ridefinder to help you locate a taxi or supershuttle in real time. Or Google Local, which lets you search by geographic location. Ah fun with internet dorks.

2 Comments:

  • God Wyatt, don't you know by now that sarcasm over the internet is like a middle school science experiment gone totally awry? You never know when your partner will burst into tears, or your best friend will stop talking to you because you smacked him with a backhand when he thought that he would get a pat on the ass and a "nice hustle."

    And I do own a Mac, but I have not yet downloaded Firefox, although with their new security patches, I may just do that tonight...

    By Blogger Fletch, at 1:18 PM  

  • Wyatt, are you the tech-equivalent of an indie rock hipster?? I can you see you in bars ("You don't know what Firefox is? I knew about Firefox before Mac came out with the iPod shuffle!")

    And yes, it's true, sometimes internet "humor" makes me cry.

    Also, Fletch, you should know that according to a Manhattan judge, ass-patting is a-okay (http://nydailynews.com/front/story/311024p-266108c.html)

    l.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home