DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

5.24.2005

Nuts in a silver bowl

Last night, I had the opportunity to dine at the Cosmos Club with a good family friend. No, I am not yet one of Washington's intellectual elite (wait, you mean blogs don't count?), but after last night, I hope that I can hurry along my resume-building so that I can be nominated before I'm too stodgy to get a kick out of it.

The magnificent Beaux-Arts mansion at the corner of Massachusetts and Florida seems to be the perfect setting for this club. The interior is filled with lots of wood paneling and marble columns, just as any elite club should. Its funny, for a club that is so elite, it really doesn't have a snooty atmosphere. The staff were all very nice, and most of them knew my hostess well. When we sat in the barroom, they brought out bowl of nuts (Fancy ones, like macadamia and pecans. No simple peanuts here!) and some odd cheese dip. Dinner in the main dining room was excellent, as always. The menu was what you would expect from an old club, steak, lamb, salmon, crab cakes..., but there were a few modern touches: a Thai peanut sauce with the trout, a selection of "heart healthy" dishes, and a number of entree salads.

The whole time we were eating, I half expected Kelly Ann Collins to stroll in wearing a little black number, but then I remembered its only the intellectual elite. Of course, gentleman, if you are ever invited to the Cosmos Club, remember, jacket and tie are required.

6 Comments:

  • I think the stodgier you get, the more likely that you will get a kick out of this place, but who knows...

    By Blogger Lauren, at 11:08 AM  

  • Also, while the staff were all very nice, the club definitely had that old-school "let's only hire older minorities" feel of other country clubs I've frequented.

    P.S. I thought the food was pretty good but the cheese dip thing was awful. And my dining partners MADE me try it!

    By Blogger Lauren, at 11:09 AM  

  • fretcher, i'm coming to town tomorrow night. let's have wings or make out or something.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

  • No, I think that I won't appreciate the ostentatious ridiculousness of it all if I am stodgy.

    That being said, I've been feeling weird all morning about writing something so elitest. I feel that its almost hypocritical. But at the same time, I am the person who believes that the world runs on elitism, and that pretentiousness is for people who come in second place.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 11:44 AM  

  • I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. But I know this intellectual will probably decline her Cosmos nomination (even though I doubt they nominate us post-modernists...)

    l.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 12:13 PM  

  • can't you guys bicker at home?

    By Blogger 8yearoldsdude, at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home