DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

3.10.2005

Musical Interlude

So, almost a week ago, Clem Snide rolled through the Black Cat. Part of me was very jealous when I learned that Jake was reviewing the show for DCist. I thought, wow, he must really be blowing up on this here internet. Then I remembered that he had volunteered to do it. Still, props to Jake.

Unfortunately, Jake's props couldn't compare to the first act of the evening, Marbles. This man was amazing. I am not sure that I have words to describe how extraordinary a performance this was. First, he was a meek, balding thirty-something with an acoustic guitar strumming away. Then he takes his pants off, brings up cardboard cut-outs of Darth Vader and the robot from Lost in Space , gets dressed up all in silver (including a silver cape and flip-flops). Whats left is a shiny, balding thirty-something singing along to a home stereo while occasionally pretending to play a guitar that was clearly not plugged into anything. And the dude was rocking out! I mean he was getting his jam on on-stage, completely oblivious to the fact that most of his audience was sitting there going "Oh. My. God. What is going on here?" Yet he was spectacular. If I ever see Marbles coming through town again, I am dropping the cash and seeing the show. (For a fuller review of Marbles' excellence check out Callender's thoughts)

(interlude in which Archer Prewitt sucked ass and the life out of the crowd)

Clem Snide was almost a let down in some ways. They never could regain the energy that Marbles had injected into the crowd. They cruised along and rocked through some songs, but I was a little disappointed that they didn't end up playing more of their old stuff. I know, I know, they are supporting their new album, but come on, its not like the old stuff started sucking.

The next night, it was back to the Black Cat for Robbers on High Street, VHS or Beta, and Ambulance, Ltd. Maybe I am getting too old for Friday nights, or maybe I just needed a good night's sleep to prepare for the energy of a great show, but this line-up got the job done. Robbers on High Street took the stage looking like their moms were going to have to pick them up after the show, but they were really impressive, with a mix of indie pop that got my feet moving. I picked up their new CD "Tree City", and I've been putting it through the motions. I don't know if its going to hold up over the long run, but its really got some nice energy. At points, (as I hang my head low) it reminds of Oasis. Don't know, maybe its just the derivative Beatles sound.

As far as I could tell, VHS or Beta is the second coming of the Cure, of course they took close to an hour to tune up and their levels were all too high, but they rocked hard, and they rocked loud. They rocked so hard and loud that the annoying underage fat chicks in front of us couldn't keep themselves from dancing in the sellout crowd, whacking people with their chubby elbows and stepping on toes. Not that I don't think that big girls should be able to have fun or dance, but when they started grinding on each other I thought that I was going to vomit. Luckily, their pixie stick high ended with the set, and I was able to enjoy Ambulance without being distracted by the hippie waving arms of annoying girls. Who, I might add, had absolutely zero sense of rhythm. None. Less than me. Hell, they made me look like Al Green. At least I could bob my head in beat to the thumping drums and bass.

Ambulance kept it all going. Rolling smoothly through a set of twee pop, it was a perfect end to the evening. I would say more, but I have gotten so bored, and this has gotten so long that I'm cutting myself off. More than that I am going to cut the inane crap out. Done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home