DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

3.11.2005

The "Next Blog" Button Scares Me.

I don't know how many of you have ever taken advantage of the nifty little button on the top right of your screen. You know, the one that reads "next blog>>". Sometimes when I get bored (after WaPo, DCist, NYT, BBC, ESPN, and all the nice blogs that I encourage you to check out to my right) I venture to click that mysterious button and move on through the blogiverse. Let me tell you, its a scary place.

There is nothing quite so odd as clicking randomly through blogspot addresses. With Livejournal, you get that creepy feeling that you are peering into the bedroom window of a teenage girl. You get the giddy rush of a high school crush and the heart-break of learning that your crush is crushing on your best-friend, totally bringing you back to the days when you believed that the Breakfast Club really did reflect your life. A guilty pleasure.

Blogger has a totally different feel to it. For starters, about half the blogs that I click through seem to be in foreign languages (mainly Spanish, but you get a mix of other languages as well). Nothing wrong with that. However, once I get past the tongues, I start to get really creeped out. There seems to be an inordinate number of Christian bloggers. They really scare me. Not that I ever screw up the courage to actually read them, but their mere presence reminds me that there is a whole red state world out there that believes that the world is going to end very soon. (So why do they care about Social Security or if gays marry? Shouldn't they let the G-o-d figure that stuff out?)

Even creepier are all the horny house-wife blogs out there. (For my own presence of mind, I am not going to link to any, but just click through. Maybe 1 out of every 25 is about a forty-five year old woman in Iowa City that wants to hump.) Again, there is nothing wrong with the horny housewife phenomena, in fact I hope to eventually marry a woman who will become a horny wife. Its just that reading this stuff, particularly in the workplace, makes me feel easily 10 times dirtier than reading a high school blog.

The moral of the story is proceed with caution. Blogs are a reflection of society at large, but so far society still demands a certain level of propriety that the anonymous nature of blogging disdains. It's a two way street, but on an exhausted Friday afternoon, I realize that some people reveal Too Much Information for my personal tastes. As my mom shouts out after my father has had one too many drinks (approximately 1.5) "TMI! TMI!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home