DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

4.18.2005

and the rich get...more trees?

This city never ceases to amaze me. I have dinner at my folks places (in the Palisades) on Sunday night, and what do I find on their already shady street? Six freshly planted trees. I look over to the next block, and I can spot at least three more! My mother says that she woke up one morning and they were there. No notice, no signs, hell, no noise. Then the next day, some tree guy comes around and waters them. Apparently, this is all paid for by the city (the Mom thinks that it was some sort of grant given to the city), but come on, does "the nicest place to live in Washington" really need more trees? I can easily think of a few empty tree boxes in C-Heights that could use some tender, lovin' care.

I can't even object that strongly to the plantings, because I think that it is a great thing that the city is planting trees and making sure that DC stays green. But I don't know how one can look at this and not just say, there the mayor goes again, making sure that the rich, white folk get theirs while everyone else sits and waits. Do I think that we're ever going to get nice little hawthorne trees in my neck of the woods? Shit no! If we're lucky, we'll get someone to pick up our recycling finally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home