DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

4.29.2005

Art Friday

Inspired by DCist's look at the evolving field of Art Criticism, I'll throw in my two cents about the Corcoran's Senior Thesis Exhibits. Every spring for about a month, the Corcoran gives a chunk of its exhibition space over to its students Senior Theses. Displaying the works of students in all fields of art (well, fine art, photography, graphic design, and something else), there is an "opening"every Thursday night with food and drink. While reception is technically "by invitation only," just act like you belong. Or just go for the art.

Personally, I was very impressed with the quality of work put up by the graphic art students. I've always gotten weak in the knees when I see good design work, and I was practically falling over looking at everything on the wall. The books that the design students came up with were also very well done, although my one point of criticism is that they were all bound in the same fashion. Not a particularly interesting form, but my guess is that all took the same basic bookbinding class and didn't venture beyond what they had learned there. Picky point, I know, but as someone who loves books and bindings, I would have loved to have seen more advanced work.

While there, I also perused the Biennial which I had shamefully not yet seen. I went in with high expectations, and I came out a bit disappointed. Not that it was bad, but I would have to say that most of the contemporary art was not my style. There were a few artists whose works I really enjoyed: Matthew Buckingham's One Side of Brooklyn montage; James Huckenpahler's digitally manipulated art; and John Lehr's photographs. In a brief recap of a brief recap, overall underwhelming, but with some works that are well worth the visit.

Much more impressive is the Corcoran's 2005 Print Portfolio. Again, this may be a personal preference issue, but I was quite impressed with the selections for the 2005 portfolio. The were some excellent etchings and lithographs that I would love to buy were I not poverty stricken. Ah well.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home