DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

4.25.2005

The Great State of Texas Is Gonna' Pay Your Rent

A long weekend in Austin certainly made me feel a lot better about going to grad school in the fall. A quick recap of lesson learned this weekend.

1. There are a lot of cute neighborhoods filled with funky shops and good, cheap restaurants. Hyde Park, Clarksville, South Austin... I really don't know how I going to figure out where to live.

2. It was 85 degrees down there, while this city was suffering a late spring cold spell. I need more shorts and fewer pants. Cut-offs anyone?

3. Despite the fact that Austin was named the 9th best city in the country for walking, no one seems to do it. The car culture is very much ingrained in the minds of the locals. On the upside, there seems to be a great bus system, so maybe I won't have to roll in the Echo too often.

4. A lot of things reminded me of Santa Cruz: outrageously friendly people, everything being outdoors, great Mexican food...

5. I may very well be the only male in my program. Take that as you will.

Back to the grind for a little while longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home