DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

3.14.2005

Query?

I need some help in choosing which line of Mac "books" I should purchase. So I am going to put this out there and hope for some constructive input from you. My needs are relatively basic, word processing, digital imaging (no video), digital music, web surfing. Nothing too complicated. My main question is: is there any reason that I have to get a Powerbook rather than an iBook? If someone can easily describe how a Powerbook will make my computing life $500 better I will be much obliged.

Oh, and if you want to toss in the freebie of whether I should get the 6GB Mini iPod or the 20 (or 30 GB) iPod, you might even get a wet kiss on the cheek.

Don't be shy now.

2 Comments:

  • That is my thinking. Even after upgrading to the 80GB hard drive and 512 SRAM (making it the equivilent of the Powerbook in these respects), it is still $500 cheaper. No small chunk of change. The main downside of the iBook is that the screen resolution isn't as good (1024x768 v. 1280x854).

    I guess that I probably just need to sac up and go to the Apple store (now conveniently located in beautiful downtown Bethesda) and ask them my questions.

    By Blogger Fletch, at 9:49 AM  

  • The major difference is that you can connect an extra monitor to the PowerBook (in other words, "span") and adjust the resolution to fit the screen you're using, whereas you can only mirror the screen of the iBook at the same exact resolution.

    Also, the 12" and 14" iBooks have the exact same resolution, so you'll see the exact same image on the screen, only larger. There's no additional screen "real estate" gained by getting the 14".

    I got a 12" PB with superdrive - refurbished - from the apple site, and I havn't cared at all about having a "small" screen. It would be nice to have the 15" PB resolution, but is not necessary for everyday internet, word processing, music downloading/playing; and when I bring it places, which is often, it's conveniently compact.

    Also, external dvd burners are pretty cheap these days. You can get an external 16x dual-layer DVD burner for less than what Apple charges to upgrade the combo drive to an 8x superdrive.

    And dude, definitely get the full-sized iPod if you are passionate about music.

    By Blogger mjalex, at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home