DCaffeinated

Life. Inside the Beltway. Outside of Politics. Mostly.

2.18.2005

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

After sidling down to the Metro platform this morning, I checked up at the sometimes functioning display, and what did I see the new PIDs display showing that there are lots of trains about to come through C-Heights. But then this guy standing next to me, turns to me and asks "What are you looking at?" I'm thinking wtf, its 8am, I don't want to deal with this crap. So I tell him "The sign." He looks at me funny and repeats with a strong accent "Where do you work?" First I'm relieved that I had misheard his question and that he didn't want to throw down before we hopped on the train. But then I realize that he actually wants an answer.

Typically, I would say that talking to random strangers on a Metro platform during the morning commute violates the Rules of Etiquette (ie if you don't know them, they are not overtly staring at you, or you are not a tourist asking for directions, you start conversations with people). However, I was so taken by surprise that I found myself embroiled in a fairly fluffy getting-to-know-you conversation about DC and what I did. It felt oddly like a first date, with most of the discomfort coming from the fact that I was having trouble understanding this guys questions through his accent.

Turns out he's a German who is in town for 3 months to work on some project at NIH for his Masters' dissertation. Nice guy, and a, um, different way to start off a morning commute. When he got off at Gallery Place, I gripped up with this moment of fear that he was going to ask for my number or something. That would have been weird. But I also wasn't sure what I would have said. I've been a traveler in random countries before, and I know how comforting a little outreach can be. Luckily, he waved goodbye and hopped off the train. Other people got on to fill his spot. Then he walked by the doors again because he realized that he couldn't go up the down escalators. And waved again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home